Sunday, May 29, 2011

Felix Update

I brought Felix to the vet on Saturday morning and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him.  He has no fever and bladder was empty (and he's not dehydrated), no detectable mass in the abdomen...he has had all his vaccinations and been dewormed as recently as last month.  The vet gave him an antibiotic injection to cover any possible trouble in his gut.

Later in the evening, I force-fed Felix with some steamed chicken.  He fought when I pushed it in his mouth but would swallow once the chicken was in.  After a few small pieces, I let him go and he was crunching at something so I opened his mouth and discovered he was chewing on some loose teeth. Which is understandable as he is now almost 6 months old.  2 of the pre-molars were dangling so I used a forcep to lightly tug at it and they came out easily.  He has another 2 that are still half embedded in the gums so I left those alone.  He may be sore from the loose teeth which would explain the not wanting to eat, and his lack of interest to play.  But it doesn't explain why he vomitted in the first place.  Good news is that he didn't vomit after eating the chicken last night.  And I have seen him pee (nice sized puddles) so I know he's drinking.

I force-fed him some canned trout today (nice and cold to soothe the sore gums) which he ate (and no vomitting!).  I hope when there's more food in him, he'll perk up.  It's so sad to see him so miserable.

Wonder if the cat toothfairy will pay for these?  :)

After being force-fed some canned trout

 
A positive sign!  Felix grooming himself

Poor Felix looking at his mum and sister playing

Felix likes to play with crunched up paper.  He was definitely interested in the paper but I think he just doesn't have the strength to play at the moment.  So he walked over to watch Coco play with it.
 
Meow-Me : It's okay Felix.  You'll feel better soon.  Make sure you eat what the human gives you, okay?
Please continue to send those purrs coming his way.  It's most appreciated.  :)

13 comments:

Mr Puddy said...

So Good to know Felix have a great sign, My mom smile when seeing him bath himself and then play : )
and A ton of purrs still send to him continuously.
Hugs
xoxo

Brian's Home Blog said...

We are all sending you lots of purrs Felix, we sure hope you are feeling better really soon.

The Island Cats said...

We sure hope Felix is feeling better soon.

Gattina said...

Poor little Felix ! that's the first time I hear that a kitten has troubles with the first teeth. they started having troubles when they were 15 years or older.
Strange, maybe he needs an antibiotic shot if it doesn't go better.

Katnip Lounge said...

Poor guy! Maybe he ate a tooth and it didn't sit well in his tummy! Paws crossed he feels better soon.

Berts Blog said...

Ah heck, you guys are so cute and sweet looking. I may have to just change my mind about cats. Maybe my Allred (Devil Cat) as I call him, is just one of a kind and all the rest of you are good.

I am gonna have to keep an eye on you guys, maybe you'll be able to change my K-9 mind.

Love
Bert

Admiral Hestorb said...

Oh Felix, sweet boy. Please feel better soon..and tell Mr Boomerang that he, you and I will sit and snuggle out on the porch together and all of us will be well and happy.
xoxox

Admiral Hestorb said...

Purrs for you, sweet Felix. MUAH!

Quill and Greyson said...

Hope you're feeling better now!!

Thanks so much for your kind words on my Blogoversary!! So nice to meet you!

BeadedTail said...

We're glad Felix is feeling better and we'll send purrs for him to keep getting better too. We hope he feels up to playing very soon!

Hannah and Lucy said...

We hope Felix will tuck into his food today. We are sending our best purrs to him and hope he is better soon.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

Anonymous said...

awww, poor felix! totally understand the moodiness though, i'd be the same way if i have tooth problems! hope he'll feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

oh my cod, Felix is SOOOOOOOOOO handsome!