Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Stray Cat Mission

After many months of trying to capture Mr White Stray failed (which resulted in the births of Meow-Me and subsequently Coco and Felix), I decided to borrow a trap that was designed to capture civet cats and feral cats. It's a larger version of the mouse trap.  I fried a fish for bait.
The trap

Fried fish as bait
We set up the trap behind our house during Mr White Stray's dinner time and waited (my next door neighbour feeds him).  After an hour, hubby saw him approach the trap and both of us watched, hearts beating fast...he walked around the trap then walked right into it!  Snap!  The door shut.  But not firmly enough and he got away. I was absolutely devastated as I knew he would probably NEVER enter the trap again (he's a very smart cat).

Today, I tried again.  This time, I set up the trap nearer to where he likes to take his afternoon siestas.  When he finally emerged (I was hiding in the drain), he took a look at the trap, then he spotted me, and gave me a look of disbelief.  "You actually expect me to be that dumb as to enter the trap AGAIN?  What do you think I am?  An idiot?".  Sigh.
Mr White Stray's siesta spot...a few houses away

Setting the trap near his siesta spot
I went to speak with my neighbour who usually feeds him and she said he does go into HER cat's cage to eat her biscuits AND allows her to touch him.  I asked if she could PLEASE please help me trap him because he looks like he has mange and he will probably end up spreading it to every cat, especially hers, since he likes to hang out at her place (she says her cat recently developed a bald spot on her ear so I asked her to get it checked out).  She said she'll try.

As I was grooming Whisky, I received a phone call.  It was my neighbour! She GOT him!  She got scratched when she shoved him into the carrier, but she GOT HIM!  I went over to pick him up and his neutering appointment has been set for tomorrow at 10am.  We'll get him treated for mange (if he has it) and I'll keep him for a few days before releasing him.
Mr White Stray is VERY angry
Call me paranoid, but I'm so afraid he'll somehow escape so I put his carrier in another carrier...just to be sure.
LET ME OUT, YOU EVIL WOMAN!
Does anyone have any experience with mange?  How do I prevent my cats from getting it?

18 comments:

Admiral Hestorb said...

oh you are an angel to help him. thank you so much for caring for him who has no one. I hope the vet can tell you and us as well thru you, about how to treat and avoid mange.
xoxox

Finn said...

Wow, I am impressed with the double cage! Good luck! I haven't had any experience with mange, sorry I can't help.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thanks for helping that sweet soul, he really needs so help.

Hannah and Lucy said...

We bet he wonders what he's done to deserve being in prison in another prison!! We are so pleased you and your neighbour managed to get him and you will take him to be neutered and get his mange treated.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

Remington said...

Sorry can't help you with that one....you are so nice to help these strays to get spayed or neutered....

Katnip Lounge said...

HURRAH!!!!! One less Tom to make kittens.
My Lab had mange when I rescued him, it was the devil to get rid of, and I wouldn't do the same thing as before; he was dipped, several times, and it made him VERY sick. Talk to your vet. There has to be a better way.

unikorna said...

I am simply in love with your blog :).

Annie Bear said...

I'm so glad he was caught. It's so nice of you to take him to the vet for neutering and treatment of mange. I found a web site on mange:
http://mangecure.info/Mange/manovr_DoingItOverAgain.html

It says not share anything between the infected cat and your cats (toys, dishes, brushes, etc.). Be sure to wash thoroughly if you touch Mr. White. The vet is the best treatment. I wish you the best of luck!!

Photo Cache said...

You are a kind heart. M ay your tribe increase.

Emma and Buster

Gattina said...

I am so happy that women like you exist ! you did a wonderful job which almost killed your neighbor,lol ! I know these cats are like wild tigers ! but so good that you got him ! I wished there were more people like you everywhere in the world !
I am catless now in Oxford ! I left my "replacement" cat in Eastbourne and have to sleep alone (sob) !

The Island Cats said...

Oh we're so glad you got him and can get him to the vet!!

Willow said...

Teamwork is the best way to help all of our stray and feral friends. Now this tom will have a better chance. Purrs.

Quill and Greyson said...

Yeah! You caught em!!

BeadedTail said...

We're so glad you are helping this poor kitty! He doesn't look happy at all but it's a blessing that he won't be making more homeless kitties. We hope his mange gets cleared up if he has it. Thank you for helping the kitties!

Gigi said...

I'm so glad you are helping Mr. Whitey. Yes, he does look, shall we say, *displeased*, but he will feel SO much better once he gets some need attention. Mr. Whitey doesn't know it yet, but you are his best friend :-)

Ellen Whyte said...

Great job Cathy! And good luck with the mange treatment. Lynette is the expert; she's had several kitties with mange.

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Thank you so much for helping Mr. White Stray. He will thank you one day, we are certain!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

He looks about as mad as TomTom was when we trapped him--took about 6 months of trying to capture him! The ivermectin injection is best and just as you said, one inj is better than none but 2 is better.

If it is demodectic mange, that mite lives in the hair follicle naturally but in a stressed, feral, malnourished cat, the mite can take over as the cats immune system is weaker. Demodex is not contagious.

If it's sarcoptic mange, which it looks like if it's more facial, that is contagious. Here is an excellent link to info:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html