Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Boomerang

Whisky broke up a potential fight between this spotted cat (whom I have never seen before) with the resident tomcat (Felix's father).  As the cat was cornered, I took the risk of petting it and it didn't seem to mind.  So I took a bigger risk by scruffing it and it just hung limp.  Seizing this opportunity, I checked and found it to be a male cat, probably no older than 8 months.

Boomerang just after he was caught
I put him into a carrier and made an appointment to have him neutered the same evening (I caught him in the morning).

That was on Thursday, 28 April 2011.  I released him on Sunday but he refuses to leave, rubbing all over my legs everytime he sees me (which makes me feel like a giant catnip).  I decided to name him Boomerang since he comes back everytime I throw him out.  LOL.

Boomer : You're safe under my watchful eyes!

Boomer keeps me company

Boomer takes his role as guardcat very seriously
It does feel really nice to have a "bodyguard" everytime I go outside.  He follows me everywhere I go!  We feed him twice a day and he has a clean bowl of water to drink from.

This is Felix's dad and the current resident Tomcat.  I'm still trying to capture him to get him neutered but he is very wary of humans.  He used to be a very handsome cat when he first arrived but with all the fighting to maintain his territory, his face is now riddled with scars.
Felix's father was brought to the neighbourhood by a new neighbour almost 2 years ago.  The neighbour didn't have him neutered and allowed him to roam and now they do not even feed him.  We hear him calling and fighting almost on a daily basis now that another intact male (black cat) has started challenging his territory.

10 comments:

Mr Puddy said...

Ha..Ha..Ha..The way you tell the story of Boomerang is so funny.. I think you gave him a really cool name : )

About Felix's dad, My mom worry about me is going to be like him too ! Territory is a big issue for me, but as far I fight, I just got lots of tiny tiny scars. Mom said I'm pretty lucky !

And we feel so sorry for him. His owner doesn't look after him at all. Me and mom hope he is ok.
xoxo

Gattina said...

What a cute story ! I wished more people would act like you and get stray cats neutredn, it's so nice of you ! In my area were I live all cats are neutred and we don't have any stray cats. But in some parts of Brussels volonteers (mostly future Vets) are catching cats neuter them and set them free again. That at least helps to reduce the misery of always pregnant cats !

Brian's Home Blog said...

That Boomerang is very handsome, he also looks very happy now!

Oskar said...

Well I guess Boomer knows what he wants!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

Katnip Lounge said...

Your Boomerang is like our Henry...just keeps on hanging around! Of course we haven't been able to get his CatNuts lopped off yet, that may change his opinion of us.

Admiral Hestorb said...

I love Boomerang. I would take him in a second if the Admiral of the expanding tummy (thank goodness) would let me. He's adorable. Poor Felix's dad...what a shame there are more uncaring pet owners than loving caring ones. Thank heavens for those who care and try to help.
xoxox

Hannah and Lucy said...

Boomerang looks quite a gentle cat - we are so happy you are taking care of him and have had his "mancat bits" looked after. He must feel very safe with you.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

Admiral Hestorb said...

Admiral indeed has her hat turned in Boomerang's direction. He is SO good LOOKIN'!!

BeadedTail said...

Boomerang is very handsome and we love that he treats you like catnip! What a sweetie! It's too bad that Felix isn't having such a nice life because of the neighbor not being a responsible owner.

Anonymous said...

boomerang is a fine name! he's very goodlooking too.